Monday, October 02, 2006

Slight change of plan. Elvis (my German Shorthaired Pointer) isn't too well today as he's been eating some of the apples from our tree which have made him sick. So, I'll be heading off to Baysdale in the morning. I've spent the time finishing off my write-up about Bakewell, which features two walks. One of which heads over across Calton Pastures to Chatsworth Park and Beeley (superb pub - Devonshire Arms), from where it heads up through Smeltingmill Wood to Rowsley then back passing above Haddon Hall and along the banks of the Wye (10 miles). The other walk heads along the Monsal Trail to Little Longstone (great pub - Packhorse Inn) and Monsal Head (famous viewpoint) from where it drops down to Ashford in the Water and back along the Wye (8 miles). Here's an interesting fact that I've just written up...
"nearby is the Old Original Bakewell Pudding Shop that still makes Bakewell Puddings (not tarts!) from the original recipe. This famous delicacy was inadvertently invented during the 1850’s at the Rutland Arms Hotel when the cook made a mistake and poured the pastry mix over the jam instead of the other way round and so created a pudding instead of a tart! "
I'll let you know how I get on around Baysdale - I might even post a photo, if I can work out how to do it!

Cheers, Mark

1 comment:

  1. Elvis is a very handsome fella! He looks very much like my GSP, Bosley. Bosley is my first GSP and what a wonderful breed they are. Pat Elvis on the head for me and tell him Bosley says hello.

    ReplyDelete